Women’s Lacrosse Falls in NCAA Third Round

Jumbos end season with loss on the road to Franklin & Marshall

Tufts women's lacrosse player fights through defense

Host Franklin & Marshall College scored the first six goals and led 9-2 early on their way to a 17-8 victory over Tufts University in the third round of the 2015 NCAA lacrosse championship played at Tylus Field in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, on May 16.

Tufts, which battled back to within 9-5 early in the second half, saw its season end with a 12-7 record. The Jumbos were led by two goals each from seniors Lindsey Walker and Kali DiGate as well as first-year Jenn Duffy.

By advancing to the NCAA third round, head coach Courtney Farrell’s Jumbos matched the furthest any Tufts women’s lacrosse team has gone in NCAAs. The 2009 Jumbos also lost a third-round game at Franklin & Marshall. Tufts’ NCAA berth this spring was its first since 2011.

The Diplomats (19-2), chasing their third NCAA title, move on to the national quarterfinals.

The hosts scored four goals in the opening 4:30 by four different players and led 6-0 barely 11 minutes into the game.

Walker got Tufts on the board with an unassisted goal at 17:26, but F&M responded with back-to-back goals by Brittney Jorgenson, making it 8-1. However, the Jumbos would finish the half strong by outscoring the Diplomats 3-1 during the final 8:18. Duffy had two during this stretch, and the deficit was 9-4 at the break.

When Tufts junior Brigid Bowser scored the opening goal of the second half at 27:39, the Jumbos were within 9-5. But Franklin & Marshall doused any momentum, scoring the next four, two by Jorgenson and two by Paige Moriarty. That put the hosts up 13-5.

Tufts’ last gasp was DiGate’s goal at 16:03, but F&M scored four out of the next five to seal the victory.

The Jumbos did cause 13 of Franklin & Marshall’s 15 turnovers, including five by senior first team All-American Emily Wright. Senior Jaymi Cohen scooped up three ground balls as Tufts earned a slight edge there, 13-11. First-year Hannah Wiltshire started in goal for Tufts and was relieved late in the first half after making two saves. Senior Rachel Gallimore stopped three shots in 30:15 of action.

Tufts Sports Information Director Paul Sweeney can be reached at paul.sweeney@tufts.edu.

Back to Top