Hailey McKelvie, E22

School: School of Engineering 

Degree: Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science 

Future home: Seattle, Washington, where I’m headed next for a job as a software engineer 

Which Tufts course most prepared you for life beyond college? 

Machine Architecture and Assembly Language Programming, because that was a pivotal experience in terms of my becoming a good programmer. It was such a difficult course—its number in the catalog is CS40, and so we jokingly refer to it as a 40-hours-a-week course: it’s just so much work. But it really ramped up my ability to be a good student. The material was fascinating, too!  

What’s something you’ve done outside the classroom that has contributed to who you are today? 

I’m a varsity athlete on the sailing team, and that’s impacted me in so many ways. We practice almost every day, Tuesday through Friday, and we sail all weekend. Being part of that team has taught me essential life skills, from leadership to dedication to time management. It’s shaped who I am as a person.  

Your favorite place on campus? 

Dewick, because it’s such a great social center. I spent the majority of my freshman and sophomore years there, when I had time between classes, and I have great memories of seeing friends, relaxing, and just hanging out. But I also really enjoy the Science and Engineering Complex. It’s a collaborative environment and an excellent place to do homework. Given that the majority of my life—when I’m not sailing—is spent on academics, it’s a good place for me.  

What are you proudest of about your time at Tufts? 

The friendships that I’ve made. I’ve met so many great people here and I’ve made strong bonds that I think I’ll have with me for the rest of my life, whether those bonds are with friends or even, in some cases, professors—such as Professor Lenore Cowen, who has been an amazing part of my experience. Also, I feel like I accomplished everything I set out to accomplish when I started college, and I’m proud of myself for that.  

This profile originally appeared as part of the series “Profiles in Inspiration: Commencement 2022 Spotlights."