Tufts Hosts Eleventh Annual Community Day with Medford and Somerville
For More Information or to Request a Photo from this News Release, Contact:
MEDFORD/SOMERVILLE, Mass. – Residents, neighbors and friends are invited to celebrate the 11th annual Community Day at Tufts University on Sunday, September 29, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will take place on Tufts' Medford/Somerville campus and is cosponsored by the two cities.
All activities are free and open to the public. Highlights for the day include:
- Music and dance performances by student groups including the Beelzebubs and the HYPE Mimez!
- Tufts Quidditch team presenting a “kidditch” game for kids
- Educational displays from student organizations and departments at Tufts including the School of Dental Medicine's Smile Squad, the Center for Engineering Education & Outreach (CEEO), the Tufts Art Gallery, and the Poincaré Institute for Mathematics Education
- Presentations by students from the Tufts Hybrid Racing Team
Returning this year will also be these favorites:
- Complimentary BBQ lunch and refreshments
- Information tables from community groups in Medford and Somerville
- Interactive performance by Tufts' only children's theater troupe, the “Traveling Treasure Trunk”
- Pumpkin painting, crafts, cookie decorating, face painting and other family-friendly activities
- Tips on safety and fire prevention by police and fire departments
All events take place rain or shine on the main academic quad at the top of the hill by Goddard Chapel, Ballou Hall and the statue of Jumbo. The event is handicapped accessible.
Free parking for Community Day is available in the Tufts parking garage at 419 Boston Avenue, Medford. A complimentary shuttle will run between Davis Square (across the street from the Somerville Theater) and the Tufts campus. For directions and maps go to: http://campusmaps.tufts.edu/medford/.
Tufts University, located on three Massachusetts campuses in Boston, Medford/Somerville, and Grafton, and in Talloires, France, is recognized among the premier research universities in the United States. Tufts enjoys a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of its students as leaders in a wide range of professions. A growing number of innovative teaching and research initiatives span all Tufts campuses, and collaboration among faculty and students in the undergraduate, graduate and professional programs across the university’s schools is widely encouraged.