Tufts Hosts Ninth Annual Community Day with Medford and Somerville
For More Information or to Request a Photo from this News Release, Contact:
MEDFORD/SOMERVILLE, Mass. – Residents, neighbors and friends are invited to celebrate the ninth annual Community Day at Tufts University on Sunday, September 25 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will take place on the Medford/Somerville campus and is cosponsored by the two cities.
“Community Day has certainly become a wonderful tradition where we have the opportunity to celebrate our shared community,” said University Relations Vice President Mary Jeka. “This year, our new President, Tony Monaco, will join us in welcoming our neighbors to campus for the day. In addition to learning what’s happening at Tufts, there will be student performances and our ever-popular BBQ. I want to extend a special thanks to the cities of Medford and Somerville for sponsoring the day with us.”
All activities are free and open to the public. Highlights of the day include:
- Complimentary BBQ lunch and refreshments
- Music and dance by Tufts' student groups, including the Beelzebubs, Amalgamates, and B.E.A.T.S.
- Performance by the popular children’s entertainment troupe "Traveling Treasure Trunk"
- Pumpkin painting, crafts, cookie decorating, face painting and other activities for children
- Safety and fire prevention tips from local police and fire departments
- Pumpkin painting, crafts, cookie decorating, face painting and other family-friendly activities
- Information tables from community groups in Medford and Somerville
- Educational displays from Tufts' departments and student organizations including the School of Dental Medicine's Smile Squad, Tufts Center for Engineering Education & Outreach, and the Tufts Art Gallery
All events take place on the main academic quad at the top of the hill by Goddard Chapel, Ballou Hall and the statue of Jumbo. The event is handicapped accessible. Community Day will be held rain or shine.
Free parking for Community Day is available in the Tufts parking garage at 419 Boston Avenue, Medford. A complimentary shuttle will run between Davis Square (across the street from the Somerville Theater) and the Tufts campus. For directions and maps go to: http://campusmaps.tufts.edu/medford/.
To read more about the event online please visit http://cday.tufts.edu. For more information please contact the Tufts Office of Community Relations at 617-627-3780 or email CommunityDay@tufts.edu.
Tufts University, located on three Massachusetts campuses in Boston, Medford/Somerville, and Grafton, and in Talloires, France, is recognized among the premier research universities in the United States. Tufts enjoys a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of its students as leaders in a wide range of professions. A growing number of innovative teaching and research initiatives span all Tufts campuses, and collaboration among faculty and students in the undergraduate, graduate and professional programs across the university’s schools is widely encouraged.