Tufts University hosts 14th annual Tufts Community Day
For More Information or to Request a Photo from this News Release, Contact:
Medford, Mass (September 8, 2016) – Tufts University, in cooperation with the cities of Medford and Somerville, will host the 14th annual Community Day festival from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, October 2, 2016. This year's theme celebrates art and innovation in the community. The event, which is free and open to the public, will be held rain or shine on the Tufts University Academic Green in the center of the Medford/ Somerville campus.
This annual event is a wonderful opportunity for neighbors, residents and families of the cities to explore the work and accomplishments of community organizations and city departments. Live performances include dance, song, music and special surprises. Students from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts will be on hand to draw caricature portraits. All activities, including lunch, are free and open to the public.
Event highlights include:
- Medford Community Groups such as DARE Family Services, Friends of the Medford Public Library, Medford Arts Council, Medford Family Network, Medford Historical Society and many more
- Somerville Community Groups such as Elizabeth Peabody House, Friends of the Somerville Public Library, Historic Somerville, Somerville Open Studios, Walnut Street Center and many more
- Tufts Programs such as Tufts University School of Dental Medicine's Smile Squad, Friedman School of Nutrition's Shape Up Under 5, Tufts University School of Medicine's Sharewood Project, the Department of Computer Science's Human-Robot Interaction Laboratory, Tufts Literacy Corps and many more
- Live Performances by song, dance and theater groups including the School of Honk, Tufts Youth Philharmonic featuring area youths and Tufts student groups the Beelzebubs and B.E.A.T.S. percussion
- Children's Activities include face-painting, scavenger hunt, crafts and "Kidditch" -- Quidditch for kids
Free event parking is available directly behind the event location in the Dowling Hall Garage at 419 Boston Avenue, Medford.
To learn more about the event, please visit http://cday.tufts.edu.
About Tufts University
Tufts University, located on campuses in Boston, Medford/Somerville and Grafton, Massachusetts, and in Talloires, France, is recognized among the premier research universities in the United States. Tufts enjoys a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of students as leaders in a wide range of professions. A growing number of innovative teaching and research initiatives span all Tufts campuses, and collaboration among the faculty and students in the undergraduate, graduate and professional programs across the university's schools is widely encouraged.