Tufts University hosts 17th annual Tufts Community Day
For More Information or to Request a Photo from this News Release, Contact:
MEDFORD/SOMERVILLE, Mass. (Aug. 28, 2019)—Tufts University, in cooperation with the cities of Medford and Somerville, will host the 17th annual Community Day festival from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 22. The event, which is free and open to the public, will be held rain or shine on the Tufts University Academic Green in the center of the Medford/Somerville campus.
This annual event is a wonderful opportunity for neighbors, residents and families of the cities to explore the work and accomplishments of community organizations and city departments. Live performances include dance, song and music groups. Student artists will provide face painting, caricature drawing and craft activities. A free BBQ lunch and refreshments will be served.
- Medford community groups such as Medford Arts Center, Center for Citizenship and Social Responsibility, Medford Girl Scouts and Kitty Connection;
- Somerville community groups such as Somerville Garden Club, Historic Somerville and Somerville Road Runners;
- Tufts programs such as Tufts University School of Dental Medicine's Smile Squad, Tufts Society of Women Engineers, Tytell Laboratory and Tufts University Art Galleries;
- Live performances including song, dance and theater groups such as the Jackson Jills, S-Factor, the Amalgamates, Wuzee and Lord Barnum’s Players (Shakespeare for kids); and,
- Children's activities such as face-painting, crafts, story time with Tufts Traveling Treasure Trunk, MARV (the Medford Arts Resource Vehicle) and "Kidditch" (Quidditch for kids).
Free garage parking is available directly behind the event location in the Dowling Hall Garage at 419 Boston Avenue, Medford.
This year, many of the students who volunteer at Tufts Community Day will also participate in the Tufts Community Outreach Project the following weekend. As part of this new student-led initiative, teams of first-years will participate in over 18 meaningful community service projects throughout Medford, Somerville and Boston.
Please see http://cday.tufts.edu for additional Community Day event details.
About Tufts University
Tufts University, located on campuses in Boston, Medford/Somerville and Grafton, Massachusetts, and in Talloires, France, is recognized among the premier research universities in the United States. Tufts enjoys a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of students as leaders in a wide range of professions. A growing number of innovative teaching and research initiatives span all Tufts campuses, and collaboration among the faculty and students in the undergraduate, graduate and professional programs across the university's schools is widely encouraged.